Read our 2016 Report Card for Sherman.
Our unique analysis of the bills Sherman has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Sherman is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Brad Sherman sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Financial Services
Sherman was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3284 (111th): Reduce Iranian Cyber-Suppression Act
- H.R. 4646 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 7320 Reseda Boulevard in Reseda, California, as the “Coach John Wooden Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5340 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5805 White Oak Avenue in Encino, California, as the “Francis Dayle ‘Chick’ Hearn Post Office”.
- H.R. 1794 (105th): For the relief of Mai Hoa “Jasmine” Salehi.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Sherman sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Sherman’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1958: PACE Act of 2017
- H.R. 1414: Justice for Victims of Fraud Act of 2017
- H.R. 6423 (114th): Justice for Victims of Fraud Act of 2016
- H.R. 5894 (114th): Eliminate So-Called Right-to-Work Legislation Nationwide Act of 2016
- H.R. 5370 (114th): U.S.-China Nuclear Cooperation and Nonproliferation Act of 2016
- H.R. 4578 (114th): Underground Gas Storage Safety Act
- H.R. 4312 (114th): Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps Sanctions Implementation and Review Act
|Sherman’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2040: Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 348/77.
After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, a federal commission was created to fact-find as much information as possible about the planning, funding, and carrying-out of the attacks. The final report ran more than 500 pages, but much intrigue has centered around 28 pages redacted ...
H.R. 5461: Iranian Leadership Asset Transparency Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed 282/143.
H.R. 3461: To approve the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, signed at Vienna on July 14, 2015, relating to the ...
Sep 11, 2015. Failed 162/269.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1997 to Jun 2017, Sherman missed 160 of 13,820 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 31 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: