Miller was the representative for North Carolina’s 13th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2003 to 2012.
Miller is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Miller sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Miller was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1728 (111th): Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act
- H.R. 3389 (108th): To amend the Stevenson-Wydler Technology Innovation Act of 1980 to permit Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Awards to be made to nonprofit organizations.
- H.R. 3740 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 223 South Main Street in Roxboro, North Carolina, as the “Oscar Scott Woody Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Miller sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Finance and Financial Sector (22%) Housing and Community Development (16%) Law (14%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) International Affairs (11%) Social Welfare (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%)
Some of Miller’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5714 (112th): Safe, Accountable, Fair, and Efficient Banking Act of 2012
- H.R. 3077 (112th): Freedom and Mobility in Consumer Banking Act
- H.Res. 386 (112th): Recognizing the accomplishments and efforts of John I. Wilson, executive director of ...
- H.R. 2180 (112th): Shelter, Land, and Urban Management (SLUM) Assistance Act of 2011
- H.R. 1783 (112th): Foreclosure Fraud and Homeowner Abuse Prevention Act of 2011
- H.R. 1742 (112th): Janey Ensminger Act
- H.R. 952 (112th): Energy Critical Elements Renewal Act of 2011
|Miller’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 8 (112th): American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
Jan 1, 2013. Passed 257/167.
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (Pub.L. 112–240, H.R. 8, 126 Stat. 2313, enacted January 2, 2013) was passed by the United States Congress on January 1, 2013, and was signed into law by President Barack Obama the next day. The Act centers on ...
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 3538 (111th): Idaho Wilderness Water Facilities Act
Jan 20, 2010. Failed 225/191.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.Res. 382 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 1684) to authorize appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security ...
May 9, 2007. Passed 222/197.
From Jan 2003 to Jan 2013, Miller missed 117 of 7,572 roll call votes, which is 1.5%. This is better than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: