Lawrence is the representative for Michigan’s 14th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 6, 2015. Lawrence is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Lawrence.
Lawrence is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lawrence has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Brenda Lawrence sits on the following committees:
Lawrence was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5028 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10721 E Jefferson Ave in Detroit, Michigan, as the “Mary E. McCoy Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1900 (114th): National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2015
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lawrence sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (22%) Taxation (14%) Environmental Protection (14%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Health (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Families (8%)
Some of Lawrence’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8241: To eliminate or modify certain mandates of the Government Accountability Office.
- H.R. 7216: Small Business PPE Tax Credit Act
- H.R. 6033: Pell to Grad Act
- H.R. 4420: Timely Mental Health for Foster Youth Act
- H.R. 3976: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 12711 ...
- H.Res. 354: Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the passage and ratification of the 19th Amendment, ...
- H.R. 2262: Environmental Health Workforce Act of 2019
From Jan 2015 to Sep 2020, Lawrence missed 95 of 3,431 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: