Read our 2018 Report Card for Lawrence.
Lawrence is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lawrence has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Brenda Lawrence sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Member, Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
- House Committee on Oversight and Reform
Lawrence was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5028 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10721 E Jefferson Ave in Detroit, Michigan, as the “Mary E. McCoy Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1900 (114th): National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lawrence sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (21%) Taxation (16%) Environmental Protection (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Health (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (11%) Families (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%)
Some of Lawrence’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 354: Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the passage and ratification of the 19th Amendment, ...
- H.R. 2262: Environmental Health Workforce Act of 2019
- H.Res. 272: Affirming that all men and women are created equal.
- H.R. 1417: Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity, and Reliability Act of 2019
- H.Res. 153: Supporting the development of guidelines for ethical development of artificial intelligence.
- H.R. 1003: Aretha Franklin Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 852: Get the Lead Out of Schools Act
From Jan 2015 to Jun 2019, Lawrence missed 59 of 2,890 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: