Lawrence is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lawrence has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Nov 29, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Brenda Lawrence sits on the following committees:
Lawrence was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3976 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 12711 East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, as the “Aretha Franklin Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5028 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10721 E Jefferson Ave in Detroit, Michigan, as the “Mary E. McCoy Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1900 (114th): National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2015
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lawrence sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (17%) Environmental Protection (17%) Science, Technology, Communications (13%) Arts, Culture, Religion (13%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (13%) Social Welfare (9%) Education (9%) Taxation (9%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Lawrence recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 1497: Recognizing the contributions of the Women In Military Service For America Memorial (”the …
- H.R. 7626: To direct the Attorney General to establish a pilot program to determine the …
- H.R. 7296: GOOD AI Act of 2022
- H.R. 6546: Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Grant Program Act of 2022
- H.R. 6373: To establish the Digital Literacy and Equity Commission, and for other purposes.
- H.Res. 518: USPS 50th Anniversary Resolution
- H.R. 2661: Environmental Health Workforce Act of 2021
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2015 to Nov 2022, Lawrence missed 101 of 4,412 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: