Read our 2017 Report Card for Guthrie.
Guthrie is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Guthrie has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Brett Guthrie sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Chair, Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Guthrie was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 302: FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018
- H.R. 6042: To amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to delay the reduction in Federal medical assistance percentage for Medicaid personal care services furnished without an electronic visit ...
- H.R. 1808: Improving Support for Missing and Exploited Children Act of 2017
- H.J.Res. 58: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of Education relating to teacher preparation issues.
- H.R. 1046: Concrete Masonry Products Research, Education, and Promotion Act of 2017
- H.R. 1624 (114th): Protecting Affordable Coverage for Employees Act
- H.R. 3092 (113th): E. Clay Shaw, Jr. Missing Children’s Assistance Reauthorization Act of 2013
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Guthrie sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Guthrie’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6913: Blockchain Promotion Act of 2018
- H.R. 6042: To amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to delay the reduction ...
- H.R. 6017: SPECTRUM NOW Act
- H.R. 5901: To amend title 10, United States Code, to permit the Secretary of the ...
- H.R. 5492: Maternal Opioid Treatment, Health, Education, and Recovery Act of 2018
- H.R. 5327: Comprehensive Opioid Recovery Centers Act of 2018
- H.R. 5306: EMPOWER Care Act
|Guthrie’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 266/167.
This vote turned this bill into the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, by replacing the text of the bill in whole. H.R. 1314 was previously the Trade Act of 2015.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.R. 5730 (111th): Surface Transportation Earmark Rescission, Savings, and Accountability Act
Jul 27, 2010. Passed 394/23.
H.R. 1320 (111th): Federal Advisory Committee Act Amendments of 2010
Jul 26, 2010. Passed 250/124.
H.R. 1256 (111th): Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
Apr 2, 2009. Passed 298/112.
The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, (Pub.L. 111–31, H.R. 1256) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on June 22, 2009. The Act gives the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate ...
From Jan 2009 to Dec 2018, Guthrie missed 56 of 6,935 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: