Babin is the representative for Texas’s 36th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Babin is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Babin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Babin has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 13, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Babin was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 1250: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 11158 Highway 146 North in Hardin, Texas, as the “Lucas Lowe Memorial Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Babin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Science, Technology, Communications (24%) Transportation and Public Works (18%) Immigration (15%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Emergency Management (9%) International Affairs (9%) Energy (6%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Babin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 28: Protecting Life in Crisis Act
- H.R. 140: To amend section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify those ...
- H.R. 8830 (116th): You Must Be Alive To Vote Act of 2020
- H.R. 8652 (116th): Dialysis-Related Amyloidosis Treatment Act of 2020
- H.R. 4552: Honorably Discharged Transportation Worker Identification Credential Act of 2019
- H.R. 3707: DEFEAT Robocalls Act of 2019
- H.Res. 473: To declare that space launch is a developmental activity, not a form of ...
From Jan 2015 to Jan 2021, Babin missed 92 of 3,506 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: