Donnelly was the representative for Massachusetts’s 11th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1979 to 1992.
Donnelly is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Donnelly sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Donnelly was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 150 (101st): Posthumous Citizenship for Active Duty Service Act of 1989
- H.R. 3607 (101st): Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Repeal Act of 1989
- H.R. 2671 (98th): A bill for the relief of Edgar Gildardo Herrera.
- H.R. 960 (98th): A bill to confer citizenship posthumously on Corporal Wladyslaw Staniszewski.
- H.J.Res. 201 (98th): A joint resolution designating June 14, 1983 as “Baltic Freedom Day”.
- H.J.Res. 253 (98th): A joint resolution designating the period of May 6 through May 13, 1984, as National Tuberous Sclerosis Week.
- H.R. 7411 (96th): A bill authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to accept the conveyance of the United First Parish Church in Quincy, Massachusetts, and authorizing the Secretary to administer ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Donnelly sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Donnelly’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6080 (102nd): Employee Leasing Act of 1992
- H.R. 5652 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend the period ...
- H.R. 5624 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exclude from gross ...
- H.R. 5472 (102nd): To clear certain impediments to the documentation of the vessel S/V DRAGON.
- H.R. 4135 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a temporary ...
- H.R. 3875 (102nd): Middle Income Tax Relief Act of 1991
- H.R. 3775 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require recomputations of ...
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1992, Donnelly missed 577 of 6,659 roll call votes, which is 8.7%. This is worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills