Read our 2017 Report Card for Higgins.
Higgins is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Higgins has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Brian Higgins sits on the following committees:
Higgins was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3556 (112th): To designate the new United States courthouse in Buffalo, New York, as the “Robert H. Jackson United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 918 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 300 East 3rd Street in Jamestown, New York, as the “Stan Lundine Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 6318 (110th): To designate a portion of United States Route 20A, located in Orchard Park, New York, as the “Timothy J. Russert Highway”.
- H.R. 3339 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2061 South Park Avenue in Buffalo, New York, as the “James T. Molloy Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Higgins sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Higgins’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5431: Social Security Administration Accountability Act of 2018
- H.R. 4325: Access to Military Service Records Act of 2017
- H.R. 4094: Medicare-X Choice Act of 2017
- H.R. 3748: Medicare Buy-In and Health Care Stabilization Act of 2017
- H.R. 3368: To amend title 38, United States Code, to improve the access to child ...
- H.Res. 441: Require a Score Before the Floor Resolution
- H.R. 2692: Veterans Education Flexibility Act
|Higgins’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2842: Accelerating Individuals into the Workforce Act
Jun 23, 2017. Passed 377/34.
H.R. 2842 connects low-income Americans looking for work with employers looking to fill job openings, including through apprenticeships and other forms of on-the-job training. Specifically, the legislation provides funding for states to subsidize employment for a limited time for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) ...
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.Res. 937: Providing for consideration of the conference report to accompany the bill (S. 2943) to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2017 for military activities of the Department ...
Dec 1, 2016. Passed 277/139.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 4628 (112th): Interest Rate Reduction Act
Apr 27, 2012. Passed 215/195.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1908 (110th): Patent Reform Act of 2007
Sep 7, 2007. Passed 220/175.
From Jan 2005 to Jul 2018, Higgins missed 427 of 9,964 roll call votes, which is 4.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: