Schatz is the senior senator from Hawaii and is a Democrat. He has served since Dec 27, 2012. Schatz is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Schatz.
Schatz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schatz has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 3, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Brian Schatz sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies subcommittee Ranking Member
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet subcommittee Ranking Member
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Select Committee on Ethics
Schatz was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 770 (115th): NIST Small Business Cybersecurity Act
- S. 1579 (114th): NATIVE Act
- S. 2678 (114th): STOP Pain Act
- S. 1336 (114th): South Pacific Fisheries Convention Implementation Act
- S. 1046 (113th): Native American Veterans’ Memorial Amendments Act of 2013
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schatz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) Health (19%) Education (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Commerce (5%)
Some of Schatz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4963: A bill to establish a bipartisan Presidential Commission to study the establishment of ...
- S. 4962: A bill to amend the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of ...
- S. 4815: Disaster Learning and Life Saving Act of 2020
- S. 4772: Future of Local News Commission Act of 2020
- S. 4770: Family Crisis Cash Assistance Act
- S. 4571: 2020 Census Deadline Extensions Act
- S. 4510: Native American Language Resource Center Act
From Dec 2012 to Dec 2020, Schatz missed 101 of 2,458 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: