Read our 2016 Report Card for Schatz.
Our unique analysis of the bills Schatz has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Schatz is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Brian Schatz sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Select Committee on Ethics
Schatz was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1579: NATIVE Act
- S. 1336: South Pacific Fisheries Convention Implementation Act
- S. 1046 (113th): Native American Veterans’ Memorial Amendments Act of 2013
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Schatz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Energy (14%) Education (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Native Americans (8%)
Some of Schatz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3525: Strengthening American Transportation Security Act of 2016
- S. 3122: REAL Act of 2016
- S. 3097: SelectUSA Authorization Act of 2016
- S. 3077: MEDS Act
- S. 3003: Filipino Veterans Fairness Act of 2016
- S. 2996: FAIR Energy Policy Act
- S. 2852: OPEN Government Data Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Schatz’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
From Dec 2012 to Jan 2017, Schatz missed 53 of 1,207 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is much worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: