Read our 2016 Report Card for Schatz.
Our unique analysis of the bills Schatz has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Schatz is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Brian Schatz sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Member, Subcommittee on National Security and International Trade and Finance
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Select Committee on Ethics
Schatz was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1579 (114th): NATIVE Act
- S. 1336 (114th): South Pacific Fisheries Convention Implementation Act
- S. 1046 (113th): Native American Veterans’ Memorial Amendments Act of 2013
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Schatz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Health (15%) Transportation and Public Works (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Energy (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Education (10%) Native Americans (8%)
Some of Schatz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 437: A bill to provide for environmental oversight and remediation activities at Red Hill ...
- S. 362: Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act of 2017
- S. 272: Strengthening American Transportation Security Act of 2017
- S. 255: FAIR Act
- S. 250: A bill to prohibit any hiring freeze from affecting any Department of Defense ...
- S. 3525 (114th): Strengthening American Transportation Security Act of 2016
- S. 3122 (114th): REAL Act of 2016
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Schatz’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN43: Mike Pompeo, of Kansas, to be Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Jan 23, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 66/32.
This vote confirmed Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS4), a three-term Congressman first elected in 2010, as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. * * * Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS4), a three-term Congressman first elected in 2010, was President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as CIA Director. ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
From Dec 2012 to Feb 2017, Schatz missed 53 of 1,251 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is much worse than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: