Braley was the representative for Iowa’s 1st congressional district as a Democrat. He served from 2007 to 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Braley.
Braley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Braley sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 11, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Braley was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6503 (111th): To require reports on the management of Arlington National Cemetery.
- H.R. 946 (111th): Plain Writing Act of 2010
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Braley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Braley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5560 (113th): Helping College Students Cross the Finish Line Act
- H.R. 5509 (113th): College Tuition and Debt Relief Act of 2014
- H.R. 5453 (113th): To authorize health insurance issuers to continue to offer for sale current ...
- H.R. 5123 (113th): Country-of-Origin Labeling for Fuels Act
- H.R. 4964 (113th): Seniors’ Access to Social Security Act of 2014
- H.R. 4595 (113th): School Bus Safety Act
- H.R. 4422 (113th): Veterans’ Job Corps Act
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2014, Braley missed 313 of 6,341 roll call votes, which is 4.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: