Rep. Bruce Poliquin
Former Representative for Maine’s 2nd District
pronounced brooss // PAWL-uh-kwin
Poliquin was the representative for Maine’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2015 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Poliquin.
Poliquin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Poliquin sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Poliquin was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1177 (115th): Removing Outdated Restrictions to Allow for Job Growth Act
- H.R. 3657 (115th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to authorize the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to provide certain burial benefits for spouses and children of veterans who are …
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Poliquin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (22%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Taxation (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Government Operations and Politics (6%) Commerce (6%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Poliquin recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7257 (115th): President George H. W. Bush and Barbara Bush Dollar Coin Act
- H.R. 4566 (115th): Alleviating Stress Test Burdens to Help Investors Act
- H.R. 4266 (115th): Acadia National Park Boundary Clarification Act
- H.R. 4113 (115th): Veterans Access to Long Term Care and Health Services Act
- H.Res. 536 (115th): Expressing support for the designation of September 25, 2017, as “National Lobster …
- H.R. 3657 (115th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to authorize the Secretary of …
- H.R. 3614 (115th): Guaranteed COLA Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2018, Poliquin missed 19 of 2,535 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: