Steil is the representative for Wisconsin’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Steil is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Steil.
Steil is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Steil has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 7, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Bryan Steil sits on the following committees:
Steil sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Steil’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2710: To increase transparency with respect to financial services benefitting state sponsors of terrorism, ...
- H.R. 1953: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to prohibit incarcerated individuals from ...
- H.Con.Res. 20: Expressing the sense of Congress that schools should safely reopen for in-person instruction ...
- H.R. 901: No Sanctions Relief for Terrorists Act
- H.R. 733: Stop Evasion of Iran Sanctions Act of 2021
- H.R. 233: Exposing the Financing of Human Trafficking Act
- H.R. 7893 (116th): Mental Health and Substance Abuse Support During COVID–19 Act
From Jan 2019 to Apr 2021, Steil missed 12 of 1,087 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: