Read our 2014 Report Card for Levin.
Levin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2014 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Levin sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2009 to Dec 12, 2014. See full analysis methodology.
Levin was the primary sponsor of 51 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 23 (113th): Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Conservation and Recreation Act
- S. 285 (112th): A bill for the relief of Sopuruchi Chukwueke.
- S. 739 (112th): A bill to authorize the Architect of the Capitol to establish battery recharging stations for privately owned vehicles in parking areas under the jurisdiction of the Senate ...
- S. 404 (112th): A bill to modify a land grant patent issued by the Secretary of the Interior.
- S. 1421 (111th): Asian Carp Prevention and Control Act
- S. 2780 (111th): Small Business Intermediary Lending Pilot Program Act of 2009
- S. 1392 (111th): Military Construction Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010
Does 51 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Levin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (36%) Private Legislation (21%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Taxation (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (6%)
Some of Levin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3018 (113th): Partnership Auditing Fairness Act
- S. 3019 (113th): War Powers Against Non-State Actors Act of 2014
- S. 3013 (113th): Ending Insider Trading in Commodities Act
- S.Res. 565 (113th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that the President and ...
- S. 2704 (113th): No Federal Contracts for Corporate Deserters Act of 2014
- S. 2637 (113th): SBA Intermediary Lending Program Act of 2014
- S. 2556 (113th): Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Assessment Act of 2014
From Feb 1979 to Dec 2014, Levin missed 170 of 12,785 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills