Moseley Braun is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1998 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Moseley Braun sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 1993 to Oct 21, 1998. See full analysis methodology.
Moseley Braun was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1393 (104th): A bill to extend the deadline for commencement of construction of a hydroelectric project in the State of Illinois.
- S. 922 (103rd): Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Orders Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Moseley Braun sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Finance and Financial Sector (14%) Commerce (12%) Education (12%) Labor and Employment (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Law (9%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Moseley Braun recently introduced the following legislation:
- S.Res. 292 (105th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate regarding tactile currency for …
- S. 2501 (105th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exempt …
- S. 2443 (105th): Safe Communities and Schools Act of 1998
- S. 2399 (105th): A bill to suspend temporarily the duty on certain drug substances used …
- S.Res. 266 (105th): A resolution honoring the centennial of the founding of DePaul University in …
- S.Con.Res. 104 (105th): A concurrent resolution commemorating the 50th anniversary of the integration of the …
- S.Res. 249 (105th): A resolution to congratulate the Chicago Bulls on winning the 1998 National …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Feb 1993 to Oct 1998, Moseley Braun missed 57 of 2,255 roll call votes, which is 2.5%. This is on par with the median of 1.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills