Kilpatrick, a Democrat, was the representative for Michigan’s 13th congressional district from 2003 to 2010.
She was previously the representative for Michigan’s 15th congressional district (1997-2002).
In 2009 Kilpatrick was investigated for receiving impermissible gifts of travel. The House Committee on Ethics concluded Representative Kilpatrick did not knowingly accept impermissble travel gifts. In 2010, Representative Kilpatrick lost the Democratic primary.
Kilpatrick is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kilpatrick sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Kilpatrick was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2967 (109th): To designate the Federal building located at 333 Mt. Elliott Street in Detroit, Michigan, as the “Rosa Parks Federal Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kilpatrick sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (23%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Education (14%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Sports and Recreation (11%) Social Welfare (9%) Labor and Employment (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%)
Some of Kilpatrick’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4273 (111th): Pediatric Workforce Investment Act
- H.Res. 684 (111th): Recognizing and honoring Howard University School of Law’s 140-year legacy of social ...
- H.R. 3098 (111th): Caring for an Aging America Act of 2009
- H.Con.Res. 150 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of African American Bone Marrow Awareness Month.
- H.R. 1982 (111th): Veterans Entitlement to Service (VETS) Act of 2009
- H.R. 6337 (110th): Caring for an Aging America Act of 2008
- H.Con.Res. 372 (110th): Supporting the goals and ideals of Black Music Month and to honor ...
|Kilpatrick’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1137 (111th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2847) making appropriations for the Departments ...
Mar 4, 2010. Passed 212/209.
H.R. 2920 (111th): Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2009
Jul 22, 2009. Passed 265/166.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 2317 (110th): Lobbying Transparency Act of 2007
May 24, 2007. Passed 382/37.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2010, Kilpatrick missed 695 of 9,363 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. ProPublica has tracked 181 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: