Read our 2014 Report Card for McCarthy.
Our unique analysis of the bills McCarthy sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCarthy is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McCarthy was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2079 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10 Main Street in East Rockaway, New York, as the “John J. Cook Post Office”.
- H.R. 5723 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 100 Broadway in Lynbrook, New York, as the “Navy Corpsman Jeffrey L. Wiener Post Office ...
- H.R. 5431 (111th): Start Healthy Habits Early Act
- H.R. 586 (111th): Civil Rights History Project Act of 2009
- H.R. 1388 (111th): Serve America Act
- H.R. 2640 (110th): NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
McCarthy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (35%) Crime and Law Enforcement (27%) Health (10%) International Affairs (8%) Transportation and Public Works (6%) Labor and Employment (6%) Government Operations and Politics (4%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (4%)
Some of McCarthy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5005 (113th): Ending Corporal Punishment in Schools Act of 2014
- H.R. 2759 (113th): Teachers at the Table Act
- H.R. 1955 (113th): Long Island Aviation History Act
- H.R. 1857 (113th): Student-to-School Nurse Ratio Improvement Act of 2013
- H.R. 1041 (113th): PRE-K Act
- H.R. 437 (113th): Assault Weapons Ban of 2013
- H.R. 142 (113th): Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2013
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|McCarthy’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 3523 (112th): Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act
Apr 26, 2012. Passed 248/168.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2014, McCarthy missed 1,184 of 12,173 roll call votes, which is 9.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 839 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: