Meek, a Democrat, was the representative for Florida’s 17th congressional district from 1993 to 2002.
Meek is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Meek sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Meek was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2109 (107th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study of Virginia Key Beach Park in Biscayne Bay, Florida, for possible inclusion in the ...
- H.R. 364 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 5927 Southwest 70th Street in Miami, Florida, as the “Marjory Williams Scrivens Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Meek sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (26%) Immigration (14%) Law (12%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Social Welfare (10%) Families (10%) Labor and Employment (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (6%)
Some of Meek’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5751 (107th): Haitian Immigrant Equitable Adjustment Act of 2002
- H.R. 5750 (107th): Immigration Bond Fairness Act of 2002
- H.R. 4205 (107th): Affordable Housing Improvements Act
- H.R. 3630 (107th): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource ...
- H.R. 2787 (107th): To amend the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 1990 ...
- H.R. 2109 (107th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource ...
- H.R. 1971 (107th): Voting Rights Protection Act of 2001
From Jan 1993 to Nov 2002, Meek missed 428 of 5,859 roll call votes, which is 7.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: