Cortez Masto is the senior senator from Nevada and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Cortez Masto is next up for reelection in 2022.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Cortez Masto.
Cortez Masto is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cortez Masto has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 13, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Catherine Cortez Masto sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Economic Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on Health Care
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Social Security, Pensions, and Family Policy
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Cortez Masto was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3514: GREEN Vehicles at Airports Act
- S. 3511: Drone Safety Enhancement Act
- S. 3327: SENIOR Communities Protection Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cortez Masto sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (22%) Armed Forces and National Security (22%) Finance and Financial Sector (15%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Native Americans (7%) Health (7%) Taxation (7%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%)
Some of Cortez Masto’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1826: A bill to modify the penalties for violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection ...
- S. 1804: A bill to require the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to issue ...
- S. 1591: End Mass Deportation Act
- S. 1594: SERVICE Act
- S. 1511: Supporting Our Pilots Act
- S. 1513: Better Military Housing Act of 2019
- S. 1512: Rural Servicemembers Support Act of 2019
From Jan 2017 to Jun 2019, Cortez Masto missed 10 of 764 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: