Cortez Masto is the senior senator from Nevada and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Cortez Masto is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Cortez Masto.
Cortez Masto is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cortez Masto has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Catherine Cortez Masto sits on the following committees:
Cortez Masto was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 982: Not Invisible Act of 2019
- S. 2746: Law Enforcement Suicide Data Collection Act
- S. 3514 (115th): GREEN Vehicles at Airports Act
- S. 3511 (115th): Drone Safety Enhancement Act
- S. 3327 (115th): SENIOR Communities Protection Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cortez Masto sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Taxation (15%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (14%) Commerce (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Health (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%)
Some of Cortez Masto’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4904: A bill to amend the Victims of Crime Act of 1984 to ensure ...
- S. 4901: A bill to require the Director of the National Institute of Standards and ...
- S. 4877: RAISE Working Families Act
- S. 4807: Hospitality and Commerce Job Recovery Act of 2020
- S. 4790: Know Your Vets Act of 2020
- S. 4730: Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020
- S.Res. 681: A resolution recognizing the Chinese railroad workers who worked on the Transcontinental Railroad ...
From Jan 2017 to Nov 2020, Cortez Masto missed 14 of 1,265 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: