Cortez Masto is the senior senator from Nevada and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Cortez Masto is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Cortez Masto.
Cortez Masto is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cortez Masto has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Feb 25, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Catherine Cortez Masto sits on the following committees:
Cortez Masto was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 2904 (116th): IOGAN Act
- S. 982 (116th): Not Invisible Act of 2019
- S. 2746 (116th): Law Enforcement Suicide Data Collection Act
- S. 3514 (115th): GREEN Vehicles at Airports Act
- S. 3511 (115th): Drone Safety Enhancement Act
- S. 3327 (115th): SENIOR Communities Protection Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cortez Masto sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Taxation (14%) Transportation and Public Works (13%) Health (13%) Commerce (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%)
Some of Cortez Masto’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 477: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to create a ...
- S. 384: A bill to require the Administrator of the Small Business Administration to encourage ...
- S. 342: A bill to advance STEM education, provide for improved worker training, retention, and ...
- S. 356: A bill to develop and improve the transportation workforce, and for other purposes.
- S. 307: A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965 ...
- S. 224: Promoting Digital Privacy Technologies Act
- S. 219: Aid and Attendance Support Act of 2021
From Jan 2017 to Feb 2021, Cortez Masto missed 14 of 1,385 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: