Cortez Masto is the senior senator from Nevada and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Cortez Masto’s current term ends on Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Cortez Masto.
Cortez Masto is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cortez Masto has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 1, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Catherine Cortez Masto sits on the following committees:
Cortez Masto was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1502: COPS Counseling Act
- S. 3067: NEXT in Transportation Act
- S. 3066: Battery Material Processing and Component Manufacturing Act of 2021
- S. 1339: Fairness for Rape Kit Backlog Survivors Act of 2021
- S. 768: Better PLAN Act
- S. 694: Renew America’s Schools Act of 2021
- S. 149: A bill to amend title XI of the Social Security Act to provide Secretarial authority to temporarily waive or modify application of certain Medicare requirements with respect to …
Does 14 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cortez Masto sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (16%) Commerce (15%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Energy (11%) Health (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Cortez Masto recently introduced the following legislation:
- S. 5174: A bill to establish a grant program to fund women’s health patient navigators …
- S. 5048: Native American Tax Parity and Relief Act of 2022
- S.Res. 806: A resolution commending and congratulating the Las Vegas Aces basketball team on winning …
- S. 4923: BADGES for Native Communities Act
- S. 4811: BLUE Pacific Act
- S. 4771: Tribal Energy Investment Act of 2022
- S. 4721: Autonomy for Disabled Veterans Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2022, Cortez Masto missed 19 of 2,218 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: