Read our 2016 Report Card for Dent.
Our unique analysis of the bills Dent has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Dent is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Charles Dent sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Chair, Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies
Dent was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4974 (114th): Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017
- H.R. 2029 (114th): Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016
- H.R. 6223 (112th): To amend section 1059(e) of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 to clarify that a period of employment abroad by the Chief of Mission ...
- H.R. 4786 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 535 Wood Street in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, as the “H. Gordon Payrow Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2490 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 442 West Hamilton Street, Allentown, Pennsylvania, as the “Mayor Joseph S. Daddona Memorial Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dent sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Dent’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2998: Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- H.Res. 282: Supporting State, local, and community initiatives to encourage parents, teachers, camp counselors, and ...
- H.R. 1732: Synthetic Drug Control Act of 2017
- H.R. 1017: Removing Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screening Act of 2017
- H.R. 1002: National Heritage Area Act of 2017
- H.Res. 60: Expressing continued support for the special relationship between the United States and the ...
- H.R. 548: Health Care Safety Net Enhancement Act of 2017
|Dent’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1628: American Health Care Act of 2017
May 4, 2017. Passed 217/213.
The American Health Care Act of 2017 (AHCA) is the leading proposal to "repeal and replace" the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare, but we'll abbreviate it ACA) and "defund" Planned Parenthood. ### Update - June 22, 2017 On June 22, Senate Republicans released their draft ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 1806: America COMPETES Reauthorization Act of 2015
May 20, 2015. Passed 217/205.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 43: Disapproving the action of the District of Columbia Council in approving the Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Amendment Act of ...
Apr 30, 2015. Passed 228/192.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
From Jan 2005 to Jun 2017, Dent missed 28 of 9,202 roll call votes, which is 0.3%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 16 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: