Gonzalez was the representative for Texas’s 20th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1999 to 2012.
Gonzalez is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gonzalez sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Gonzalez was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3884 (108th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 615 East Houston Street in San Antonio, Texas, as the “Hipolito F. Garcia Federal Building and ...
- H.R. 1959 (106th): To designate the Federal building located at 743 East Durango Boulevard in San Antonio, Texas, as the “Adrian A. Spears Judicial Training Center”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gonzalez sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Gonzalez’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3478 (112th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend bond authority ...
- H.R. 3383 (112th): Safe Transportation of Hazardous Materials Act of 2011
- H.R. 2843 (112th): For the relief of Monica Elizondo.
- H.R. 1937 (112th): EAC Improvements Act of 2011
- H.R. 1580 (112th): Medicare Beneficiary Preservation of Choice Act of 2011
- H.R. 732 (112th): For the relief of Benita Veliz-Castillo.
- H.R. 523 (112th): American Fuel Protection Act of 2011
From Jan 1999 to Jan 2013, Gonzalez missed 303 of 9,782 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: