Melancon, a Democrat, was the representative for Louisiana’s 3rd congressional district from 2005 to 2010.
Melancon is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Melancon sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Melancon was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 6890 (110th): To extend the waiver authority for the Secretary of Education under section 105 of subtitle A of title IV of division B of Public Law 109-148, relating ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Melancon sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Melancon’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1647 (111th): Urging the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to acquire and utilize the Our ...
- H.R. 6054 (111th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to increase and to provide ...
- H.R. 5787 (111th): SBA Disaster Loan Relief Act of 2010
- H.R. 5761 (111th): To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to expedite the ...
- H.R. 5760 (111th): To expand eligibility for Pell grants to certain students who are pursuing ...
- H.R. 5698 (111th): To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 and the Outer Continental ...
- H.R. 5598 (111th): Oil Spill Tax Relief Act of 2010
|Melancon’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 6604 (110th): Commodity Markets Transparency and Accountability Act of 2008
Jul 30, 2008. Failed 276/151.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2010, Melancon missed 285 of 4,745 roll call votes, which is 6.0%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: