Our unique analysis of the bills Melancon sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Melancon is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Melancon was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6890 (110th): To extend the waiver authority for the Secretary of Education under section 105 of subtitle A of title IV of division B of Public Law 109-148, relating ...
- H.R. 1262 (110th): To permit the Secretary of Education to continue to waive certain regulatory requirements with respect to the use of aid funds for restarting school operations after Hurricanes ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Melancon sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Emergency Management (24%) Economics and Public Finance (18%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Education (8%) Water Resources Development (8%) Taxation (8%) Energy (8%)
Some of Melancon’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1647 (111th): Urging the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to acquire and utilize the Our ...
- H.R. 6054 (111th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to increase and to provide ...
- H.R. 5787 (111th): SBA Disaster Loan Relief Act of 2010
- H.R. 5761 (111th): To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to expedite the ...
- H.R. 5760 (111th): To expand eligibility for Pell grants to certain students who are pursuing ...
- H.R. 5698 (111th): To amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 and the Outer Continental ...
- H.R. 5598 (111th): Oil Spill Tax Relief Act of 2010
|Melancon’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 6604 (110th): Commodity Markets Transparency and Accountability Act of 2008
Jul 30, 2008. Failed 276/151.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2005 to Dec 2010, Melancon missed 285 of 4,745 roll call votes, which is 6.0%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: