Pashayan was the representative for California’s 17th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1979 to 1990.
Pashayan is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1990 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pashayan sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1985 to Oct 27, 1990. See full analysis methodology.
Pashayan was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.J.Res. 382 (99th): A joint resolution to authorize the continued use of certain lands within the Sequoia National Park by portions of an existing hydroelectric project.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pashayan sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Private Legislation (23%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (20%) Economics and Public Finance (17%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Taxation (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Environmental Protection (7%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Pashayan recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.J.Res. 622 (101st): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States requiring a …
- H.J.Res. 621 (101st): Suggesting an amendment to the Constitution requiring a balanced budget.
- H.R. 3811 (101st): Parks Centennial Act of 1990
- H.R. 3514 (101st): Integrated Pest Management Research Act of 1989
- H.R. 2937 (101st): For the relief of Rodney E. Hoover.
- H.R. 2938 (101st): For the relief of Wesley P. Kliewer and Lois P. Kliewer.
- H.R. 2932 (101st): Farmer to Consumer Farm Produce Enhancement Act
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1979 to Oct 1990, Pashayan missed 474 of 5,727 roll call votes, which is 8.3%. This is worse than the median of 4.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills