Our unique analysis of the bills Pickering sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Pickering is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Pickering was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3233 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at Highway 49 South in Piney Woods, Mississippi, as the “Laurence C. and Grace M. Jones ...
- H.R. 4979 (109th): Local Community Recovery Act of 2006
- H.R. 1367 (108th): National Veterinary Medical Service Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pickering sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Pickering’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 393 (110th): Supporting the goals and ideals of “National Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Month”.
- H.R. 3559 (110th): Protecting Children from Indecent Programming Act
- H.R. 3435 (110th): SAFE Energy Act of 2007
- H.R. 3233 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 2713 (110th): Joseph H. Seall Act of 2007
- H.R. 6299 (109th): Protecting Our Children from Age-Restricted Internet Products and Services Act of 2006
- H.R. 6063 (109th): Remote Monitoring Access Act of 2006
|Pickering’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 3355 (110th): Homeowners’ Defense Act of 2007
Nov 8, 2007. Passed 258/155.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 2317 (110th): Lobbying Transparency Act of 2007
May 24, 2007. Passed 382/37.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2008, Pickering missed 503 of 7,708 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. ProPublica has tracked 4 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: