Stenholm was the representative for Texas’s 17th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1979 to 2004.
Stenholm is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2004 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stenholm sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1999 to Dec 7, 2004. See full analysis methodology.
Stenholm was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 856 (108th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to revise a repayment contract with the Tom Green County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1, San Angelo project, ...
- H.R. 2366 (105th): Census of Agriculture Act of 1997
- H.R. 810 (103rd): For the relief of Elizabeth M. Hill.
- H.R. 5318 (100th): Egg Research and Consumer Information Act Amendments of 1988
- H.R. 3457 (100th): Poultry Producers Financial Protection Act of 1987
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stenholm sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (21%) Government Operations and Politics (21%) Law (15%) Commerce (12%) Water Resources Development (9%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Social Welfare (6%)
Some of Stenholm’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 517 (108th): Recognizing the continuing legacy of the Buffalo Soldiers and expressing the sense ...
- H.R. 5203 (108th): Emergency Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2004
- H.R. 5196 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 4997 (108th): Fiscally Responsible Family Tax Relief Act of 2004
- H.R. 4465 (108th): To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to extend loan forgiveness ...
- H.J.Res. 66 (108th): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to provide ...
- H.R. 856 (108th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to revise a repayment contract ...
From Jan 1979 to Dec 2004, Stenholm missed 315 of 13,739 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is on par with the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2004. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills