Thone was the representative for Nebraska’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1971 to 1978.
Thone is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Thone sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Thone was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6358 (95th): A bill to designate the Meat Animal Research Center located near Clay Center, Nebraska, as the Roman L. Hruska Meat Animal Research Center.
- H.R. 5033 (95th): A bill to amend title 38 of the United States Code in order to revise and improve the program of making grants to the States for the ...
- H.R. 8410 (94th): A bill to amend the Packers and Stockyards Act of 1921, as amended, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3044 (93rd): For the relief of James Evans, publisher of the Colfax County Press, and Morris Odvarka.
- H.R. 11360 (93rd): A bill to provide the authorization for fiscal year 1974 and succeeding fiscal year for the Committee for Purchase of Products and Services of the Blind and ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thone sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (25%) Taxation (18%) Agriculture and Food (15%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Education (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Social Welfare (7%)
Some of Thone’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14331 (95th): Federal Spending Discipline Act
- H.R. 14048 (95th): Federal Spending Discipline Act
- H.R. 13633 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to remove ...
- H.R. 13323 (95th): Federal Spending Discipline Act
- H.R. 13026 (95th): Federal Spending Discipline Act
- H.R. 12787 (95th): Meat and Livestock Import Amendments
- H.R. 12725 (95th): A bill to amend section 2040 of the Internal Revenue Code of ...
From Jan 1971 to Oct 1978, Thone missed 408 of 4,540 roll call votes, which is 9.0%. This is on par with the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills