Our unique analysis of the bills Vanik sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Vanik is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Vanik was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3637 (96th): International Coffee Agreement Act of 1979
- H.R. 7942 (96th): A bill to approve and implement the protocol to the trade agreement relating to customs valuation, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3122 (96th): A bill relating to the tariff treatment of certain articles.
- H.R. 11005 (95th): A bill to provide authorization of appropriations for the United States International Trade Commission for fiscal year 1979.
- H.R. 6370 (95th): An Act to authorize appropriations to the United States International Trade Commission, to provide for greater efficiency in the administration of the Commission, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Vanik sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Foreign Trade and International Finance (24%) Taxation (20%) Social Welfare (15%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Economics and Public Finance (7%) Energy (7%) Labor and Employment (6%) Health (5%)
Some of Vanik’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8425 (96th): A bill to amend the Tariff Schedules of the United States regarding ...
- H.Res. 809 (96th): A resolution directing the Clerk of the House of Representatives to make ...
- H.R. 7942 (96th): A bill to approve and implement the protocol to the trade agreement ...
- H.R. 7910 (96th): A bill to provide a system for adjusting depreciation schedules for tax ...
- H.Con.Res. 376 (96th): A concurrent resolution relative to Japan-United States trade.
- H.R. 7541 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect ...
- H.R. 7469 (96th): A bill to amend title V of the Motor Vehicle Information and ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1955 to Dec 1980, Vanik missed 472 of 8,124 roll call votes, which is 5.8%. This is better than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills