Wilson, a Democrat, was the representative for California's 31st congressional district from 1963 to 1980.
Wilson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Wilson sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Wilson was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 827 (96th): An act to establish dispute resolution procedures to settle disputes between supervisors and the United States Postal Service.
- H.R. 12190 (95th): A bill to amend the provisions of title 39, United States Code, relating to the mailing of solicitations disguised as invoices or statements of accounts.
- H.R. 2559 (94th): An Act to amend title 39, United States Code, to apply to the United States Postal Service certain provisions of law providing for Federal agency safety programs ...
- H.R. 1284 (93rd): A bill to amend title 5, United States Code, to improve the administration of the leave system for Federal employees.
- H.R. 3883 (93rd): Employee Benefit Security Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Wilson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Wilson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6077 (96th): Federal Employees Dental Benefits Act of 1979
- H.R. 5151 (96th): Federal Employees Dental Benefits Act of 1979
- H.R. 4331 (96th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act relating to the ...
- H.R. 4330 (96th): A bill to amend the antitrust laws to provide that the refusal ...
- H.R. 3313 (96th): A bill to amend the Federal Trade Commission Act and the Clayton ...
- H.R. 2424 (96th): A bill to amend title 39, United States Code, relating to contract ...
- H.R. 2292 (96th): A bill to amend title 38 of the United States Code to ...
From Jan 1963 to Dec 1980, Wilson missed 2,193 of 7,362 roll call votes, which is 29.8%. This is much worse than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills