Pappas is the representative for New Hampshire’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Pappas is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Pappas.
Pappas is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Pappas has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Chris Pappas sits on the following committees:
Pappas was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4477 (116th): Reducing High Risk to Veterans and Veterans Services Act
- H.R. 1579 (116th): National POW/MIA Flag Act
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Pappas sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (36%) Health (18%) Transportation and Public Works (12%) Labor and Employment (9%) Environmental Protection (6%) International Affairs (6%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Pappas’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1366: To enforce the Twenty-sixth Amendment, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1167: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for the ...
- H.R. 722: Ensuring Vaccination and Treatment Affordability Act
- H.R. 584: Emergency Care for Veterans During COVID Act
- H.R. 585: Apprenticeship Program National Scorecard Act
- H.R. 8860 (116th): Strengthening VA Whistleblower Protection Act of 2020
- H.R. 8766 (116th): Apprenticeship Program National Scorecard Act
From Jan 2019 to Mar 2021, Pappas missed 1 of 1,016 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: