Stewart is the representative for Utah’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Stewart is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Stewart is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stewart has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 20, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Chris Stewart sits on the following committees:
Stewart was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4194 (116th): National Suicide Hotline Designation Act of 2019
- H.R. 418 (116th): Confirming State Land Grants for Education Act
- H.R. 754 (115th): Anwar Sadat Centennial Celebration Act
- H.R. 2345 (115th): National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act of 2018
- H.R. 3543 (115th): Sage-Grouse and Mule Deer Habitat Conservation and Restoration Act of 2017
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stewart sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (39%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Agriculture and Food (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (7%) Health (7%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Stewart recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7808: FORMULA Act
- H.R. 7226: Intelligence Community Authorities Clarification Act
- H.R. 6240: To release the reversionary interest of the United States in certain non-Federal land …
- H.R. 5988: Fairness and Accountability in Underwriting Chinese Institutions Act
- H.R. 5806: Exposing China’s Belt and Road Investment in America Act of 2021
- H.R. 2955: Suicide Prevention Act
- H.R. 2348: Advancing Conservation and Education Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2013 to May 2022, Stewart missed 130 of 5,374 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: