Read our 2019 Report Card for Stewart.
Stewart is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Stewart has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 24, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Chris Stewart sits on the following committees:
Stewart was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4194: National Suicide Hotline Designation Act of 2019
- H.R. 418: Confirming State Land Grants for Education Act
- H.R. 754 (115th): Anwar Sadat Centennial Celebration Act
- H.R. 2345 (115th): National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act of 2018
- H.R. 3543 (115th): Sage-Grouse and Mule Deer Habitat Conservation and Restoration Act of 2017
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Stewart sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (50%) International Affairs (17%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Health (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%)
Some of Stewart’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8735: To prohibit certain Federal agencies from using or purchasing certain firearms, and for ...
- H.R. 8734: To amend the Congressional Accountability Act of 1995 to prohibit the imposition of ...
- H.R. 8446: Grand Staircase Escalante Enhancement Act
- H.R. 7815: Desert Tortoise Habitat Conservation Plan Expansion Act, Washington County, Utah
- H.R. 5619: Suicide Prevention Act
- H.R. 5490: To amend section 1105(a) of title 31, United States Code, to require that ...
- H.R. 5445: Critical Infrastructure Act of 2019
From Jan 2013 to Nov 2020, Stewart missed 115 of 4,667 roll call votes, which is 2.5%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: