Murphy is the junior senator from Connecticut and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Murphy is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
He was previously the representative for Connecticut’s 5th congressional district as a Democrat from 2007 to 2012.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Murphy.
Murphy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murphy has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 6, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Christopher Murphy sits on the following committees:
Murphy was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3265 (116th): Weir Farm National Historical Park Redesignation Act
- S. 2399 (115th): American Innovation $1 Coin Act
- S. 1326 (115th): American Innovation $1 Coin Act
- S. 1600 (114th): Judicial Redress Act of 2015
- S.J.Res. 41 (113th): A joint resolution approving the location of a memorial to commemorate the more than 5,000 slaves and free Black persons who fought for independence in the American ...
- H.R. 1675 (111th): Frank Melville Supportive Housing Investment Act of 2009
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murphy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Murphy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 529: A bill to require a background check for every firearm sale.
- S. 483: A bill to prohibit certain noncompete agreements, and for other purposes.
- S. 238: College Athlete Economic Freedom Act
- S. 237: COVID–19 Diaper Assistance Act
- S. 240: Supporting Children with Disabilities During COVID–19 Act
- S. 168: TREAT Act
- S. 5059 (116th): PAST Act
From Jan 2013 to Mar 2021, Murphy missed 14 of 2,587 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: