Read our 2016 Report Card for Smith.
Our unique analysis of the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Smith is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Christopher “Chris” Smith sits on the following committees:
- Chair, Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Chair, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations
- Member, Subcommittee on The Western Hemisphere
Smith was the primary sponsor of 53 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1150 (114th): Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act
- H.R. 6482 (114th): Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act
- H.R. 4511 (114th): Gold Star Families Voices Act
- H.R. 1567 (114th): Global Food Security Act of 2016
- H.R. 515 (114th): International Megan’s Law to Prevent Child Exploitation and Other Sexual Crimes Through Advanced Notification of Traveling Sex Offenders
- H.R. 2820 (114th): Stem Cell Therapeutic and Research Reauthorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 3596 (114th): Department of Veterans Affairs Expiring Authorities Act of 2015
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 67: Urging the Government of the People’s Republic of China to unconditionally release Liu ...
- H.Res. 421: Urging the Administration to develop more effective and timely responses to famine in ...
- H.R. 2405: Federal Disaster Assistance Nonprofit Fairness Act of 2017
- H.R. 2200: Frederick Douglass Trafficking Victims Prevention and Protection Reauthorization Act of 2017
- H.R. 1911: Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism Act of 2017
- H.R. 1744: Walter Patterson and Werner Foerster Justice and Extradition Act
- H.R. 1415: End Neglected Tropical Diseases Act
|Smith’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 342/85.
H.R. 511: Tribal Labor Sovereignty Act of 2015
Nov 17, 2015. Passed 249/177.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1981 to Jul 2017, Smith missed 455 of 21,749 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills