Hyde-Smith is the junior senator from Mississippi and is a Republican. She has served since Apr 9, 2018. Hyde-Smith is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Hyde-Smith.
Cindy Hyde-Smith sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Chair, Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Hyde-Smith was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- S. 3098: A bill to amend title 5, United States Code, to clarify the sources of the authority to issue regulations regarding certifications and other criteria applicable to legislative branch ...
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hyde-Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hyde-Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1687: Forest Recovery Act
- S. 1182: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located ...
- S. 1164: Keeping Infants Domestically Safe Act of 2019
- S. 1056: Cell-Cultured Meat and Poultry Regulation Act of 2019
- S. 613: DEER Act
- S. 351: Gun Owner Registration Information Protection Act
- S. 188: Border, Law Enforcement, Operational Control, and Sovereignty Act of 2019
From Apr 2018 to Jul 2019, Hyde-Smith missed 9 of 429 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: