McCaskill is the senior senator from Missouri and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 4, 2007. McCaskill is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2017 Report Card for McCaskill.
McCaskill is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCaskill has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Claire McCaskill sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Finance
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
McCaskill was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1296: PRIVATE Act
- S. 795 (114th): A bill to enhance whistleblower protection for contractor and grantee employees.
- S. 2759 (113th): A bill to release the City of St. Clair, Missouri, from all restrictions, conditions, and limitations on the use, encumbrance, conveyance, and closure of the St. Clair ...
- S. 1032 (113th): Better Enforcement for Sexual Assault Free Environments Act of 2013
- S. 166 (113th): A bill to designate the new Interstate Route 70 bridge over the Mississippi River connecting St. Louis, Missouri and southwestern Illinois as the “Stan Musial Memorial Bridge”.
- S. 3293 (112th): Divisional Realignment Act of 2012
- S.J.Res. 22 (112th): A joint resolution to grant the consent of Congress to an amendment to the compact between the States of Missouri and Illinois providing that bonds issued by ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCaskill sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (31%) Armed Forces and National Security (27%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Taxation (8%) Health (8%) Education (6%) Commerce (5%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of McCaskill’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2478: End Taxpayer Subsidies for Drug Ads Act
- S. 2413: Bridge Contract Transparency and Accountability Act of 2018
- S. 2400: GAO Audit Mandates Revision Act of 2018
- S. 2359: DHS Joint Requirements Council Act of 2018
- S. 2349: Improve Data on Sexual Violence Act
- S. 2314: Border and Port Security Act
- S. 2285: A bill to require mailing addresses to correspond with the physical address at ...
|McCaskill’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN89: Ajit Varadaraj Pai, of Kansas, to be a Member of the Federal Communications Commission for a term of five years from July 1, 2016
Oct 2, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 52/41.
On the Nomination PN87: Lt. Gen. Herbert R. McMaster, Jr., in the Army, to be Lieutenant General
Mar 15, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 86/10.
This vote confirmed Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster to be President Trump's National Security Advisor. Although appointments to the position do not normally require Senate confirmation, the appointment of a Senate-confirmed active military officer to this position --- a different position than the one the Senate ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 2029: Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016
Dec 18, 2015. Motion Agreed to 65/33.
This was the Senate vote on the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016, also known as the omnibus spending bill. The bill would fund the federal government for the remainder of fiscal year 2016 (through September 30, ...
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 658 (112th): FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Feb 6, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
S. 1619 (112th): Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011
Oct 11, 2011. Bill Passed 63/35.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 1495 (110th): Water Resources Development Act of 2007
Sep 24, 2007. Conference Report Agreed to 81/12.
From Jan 2007 to Mar 2018, McCaskill missed 122 of 3,378 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is worse than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: