Read our 2016 Report Card for McCaskill.
Our unique analysis of the bills McCaskill has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCaskill is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Claire McCaskill sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Special Committee on Aging
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Member, Subcommittee on Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management
McCaskill was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 795: A bill to enhance whistleblower protection for contractor and grantee employees.
- S. 2759 (113th): A bill to release the City of St. Clair, Missouri, from all restrictions, conditions, and limitations on the use, encumbrance, conveyance, and closure of the St. Clair ...
- S. 1032 (113th): Better Enforcement for Sexual Assault Free Environments Act of 2013
- S. 166 (113th): A bill to designate the new Interstate Route 70 bridge over the Mississippi River connecting St. Louis, Missouri and southwestern Illinois as the “Stan Musial Memorial Bridge”.
- S. 3293 (112th): Divisional Realignment Act of 2012
- S.J.Res. 22 (112th): A joint resolution to grant the consent of Congress to an amendment to the compact between the States of Missouri and Illinois providing that bonds issued by ...
- S. 3860 (111th): A bill to require reports on the management of Arlington National Cemetery.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
McCaskill sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (27%) Armed Forces and National Security (27%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Taxation (10%) Health (8%) Commerce (6%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%)
Some of McCaskill’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 89: A bill to amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels ...
- S. 75: Arla Harrell Act
- S. 3452: Post Office Discontinuance Accountability Act of 2016
- S. 3023: The Arla Harrell Act
- S. 2870: Military Retaliation Prevention Act
- S. 2715: National Security Whistleblower Protection Act of 2016
- S. 2714: Security Clearance Oversight and Accountability Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|McCaskill’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 658 (112th): FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Feb 6, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
S. 1619 (112th): Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011
Oct 11, 2011. Bill Passed 63/35.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Sep 8, 2011. Bill Passed 89/9.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010, also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act), was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 1495 (110th): Water Resources Development Act of 2007
Sep 24, 2007. Conference Report Agreed to 81/12.
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2017, McCaskill missed 108 of 3,030 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is worse than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: