Higgins, a Republican, is the representative for Louisiana's 3rd congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 3, 2017. Higgins is next up for reelection in 2018.
Higgins is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Higgins has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Clay Higgins sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Homeland Security
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Health
Higgins sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Higgins’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3476: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the cover-over of ...
- H.R. 3431: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow the volumetric excise ...
- H.R. 3367: LNG Now Act of 2017
- H.R. 3308: Veterans Caregiver Improvement and Expansion Act
- H.R. 3285: Sustainable, Affordable, Fair, and Efficient (SAFE) National Flood Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of ...
- H.R. 2785: Veterans Emergency Room Relief Act of 2017
- H.R. 2752: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Authorization Act
|Higgins’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
From Jan 2017 to Nov 2017, Higgins missed 10 of 637 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: