Higgins is the representative for Louisiana’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Higgins is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Higgins.
Higgins is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Higgins has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 7, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Clay Higgins sits on the following committees:
Higgins was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Higgins sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Higgins’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2880: To require the Commandant of the Coast Guard to modify regulations relating to ...
- H.R. 2729: To immediately resume construction of the border wall system along the international border ...
- H.R. 1691: Second Amendment Protection Act
- H.Res. 158: Calling on President Biden to immediately implement his radical climate agenda at the ...
- H.R. 1299: Fixing America’s Bridges Act
- H.Res. 149: Calling on President Biden to immediately implement his radical climate agenda at the ...
- H.R. 1236: Imported Seafood Testing Act
From Jan 2017 to Apr 2021, Higgins missed 143 of 2,297 roll call votes, which is 6.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: