Hansen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hansen sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Hansen was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 2328 (95th): A bill to amend Private Law 95-21 to make a technical correction therein.
- S. 259 (95th): A bill to extend certain oil and gas leases by a period sufficient to allow the drilling of an ultra-deep well.
- S. 3430 (94th): An Act to amend the Act approved August 18, 1970, providing for improvement in the administration of the National Park System by the Secretary of the Interior ...
- S. 151 (94th): An Act to authorize and modify various Federal reclamation projects and programs, and for other purposes.
- S. 3489 (93rd): An Act to authorize exchange of lands adjacent to the Teton National Forest in Wyoming, and for other purposes.
- S. 155 (93rd): A bill for the relief of Rosita E. Hodas.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hansen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (20%) Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Private Legislation (15%) Social Welfare (14%) Health (8%) Environmental Protection (8%) Agriculture and Food (8%) Education (8%)
Some of Hansen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.J.Res. 162 (95th): A Joint Resolution to authorize the President to issue a proclamation designating ...
- S. 3065 (95th): Investment Incentive Act
- S. 2988 (95th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to engage in ...
- S. 2786 (95th): A bill for the relief of Hanna-Luise Heck.
- S. 2328 (95th): A bill to amend Private Law 95-21 to make a technical correction ...
- S. 2329 (95th): A bill to amend the Fort Laramie National Monument Act.
- S. 2307 (95th): A bill to amend the Interstate Commerce Act to prohibit the amount ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1978, Hansen missed 464 of 5,822 roll call votes, which is 8.0%. This is better than the median of 12.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills