Read our 2016 Report Card for Peterson.
Our unique analysis of the bills Peterson has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Peterson is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Collin Peterson sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Agriculture
Peterson was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2251 (113th): To designate the United States courthouse and Federal building located at 118 South Mill Street, in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, as the “Edward J. Devitt United States Courthouse ...
- H.R. 1272 (112th): Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Judgment Fund Distribution Act of 2012
- H.R. 3509 (111th): Agricultural Credit Act of 2010
- H.R. 5852 (111th): Mandatory Price Reporting Act of 2010
- H.R. 6124 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
- H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
- H.R. 6051 (110th): To amend Public Law 110-196 to provide for a temporary extension of programs authorized by the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 beyond May 16, ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Peterson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Peterson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 453: Relief from New Source Performance Standards Act of 2017
- H.R. 424: Gray Wolf State Management Act of 2017
- H.Res. 829 (114th): Expressing support for completion of President Obama’s Export Control Reform Initiative, which ...
- H.R. 3030 (114th): Baudette Coast Guard Housing Conveyance Act
- H.Res. 107 (114th): Expressing support for the designation of the third week in October as ...
- H.R. 5497 (113th): Film Incentive Reform Act of 2014
- H.Res. 588 (113th): Concerning the suspension of exit permit issuance by the Government of the ...
|Peterson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3461: To approve the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, signed at Vienna on July 14, 2015, relating to the ...
Sep 11, 2015. Failed 162/269.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 644: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
Jun 12, 2015. Passed 240/190.
This bill became the vehicle for the passage of the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which includes a variety of requirements on trade protection and general trade policy. It would authorize and fund United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an agency ...
H.R. 1295: Trade Preferences Extension Act of 2015
Jun 11, 2015. Passed 397/32.
The Trade Preferences Extension Act extends a trade agreement with sub-Saharan African partners and prevents trade partners from undercutting United States businesses with artificially low prices. The bill also includes Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA), help for workers and companies affected by trade policies. TAA was ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1991 to Jul 2017, Peterson missed 306 of 17,298 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 2 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: