Read our 2017 Report Card for Peterson.
Peterson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Peterson has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Collin Peterson sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Agriculture
Peterson was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2251 (113th): To designate the United States courthouse and Federal building located at 118 South Mill Street, in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, as the “Edward J. Devitt United States Courthouse ...
- H.R. 1272 (112th): Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Judgment Fund Distribution Act of 2012
- H.R. 3509 (111th): Agricultural Credit Act of 2010
- H.R. 5852 (111th): Mandatory Price Reporting Act of 2010
- H.R. 6124 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
- H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
- H.R. 6051 (110th): To amend Public Law 110-196 to provide for a temporary extension of programs authorized by the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 beyond May 16, ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Peterson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Peterson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7023: Addressing Teacher Shortages Act of 2018
- H.R. 6689: Ensuring Lasting Smiles Act
- H.R. 5949: Agricultural Business Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act of 2018
- H.R. 5948: Small Carrier Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act of 2018
- H.R. 5497: Office of Rural Telecommunications Act
- H.R. 5498: Rural Hospital Frontier Fairness Act
- H.R. 5462: Dairy Risk Management Act of 2018
|Peterson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 3461: To approve the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, signed at Vienna on July 14, 2015, relating to the ...
Sep 11, 2015. Failed 162/269.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 644: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
Jun 12, 2015. Passed 240/190.
This bill became the vehicle for the passage of the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which includes a variety of requirements on trade protection and general trade policy. It would authorize and fund United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an agency ...
H.R. 1295: Trade Preferences Extension Act of 2015
Jun 11, 2015. Passed 397/32.
The Trade Preferences Extension Act extends a trade agreement with sub-Saharan African partners and prevents trade partners from undercutting United States businesses with artificially low prices. The bill also includes Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA), help for workers and companies affected by trade policies. TAA was ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
From Jan 1991 to Nov 2018, Peterson missed 340 of 18,027 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: