Benishek was the representative for Michigan’s 1st congressional district as a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Benishek.
Benishek is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Benishek sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Benishek was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2223 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 220 Elm Avenue in Munising, Michigan, as the “Elizabeth L. Kinnunen Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 163 (113th): Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Conservation and Recreation Act
- H.R. 1171 (113th): FOR VETS Act of 2013
- H.R. 3411 (112th): To modify a land grant patent issued by the Secretary of the Interior.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Benishek sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (32%) Native Americans (20%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (18%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (12%) Health (5%)
Some of Benishek’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5228 (114th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Traverse ...
- H.R. 3848 (114th): Burt Lake Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians Reaffirmation Act
- H.R. 3673 (114th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require the Secretary ...
- H.Res. 381 (114th): To refer H.R. 3133, a bill making congressional reference to the United ...
- H.Res. 376 (114th): To refer H.R. 3133, a bill making congressional reference to the United ...
- H.R. 3133 (114th): Relating to certain Indian land-related takings claims of the Grand Traverse Band ...
- H.R. 2464 (114th): Demanding Accountability for Veterans Act of 2015
|Benishek’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Con.Res. 55: Directing the President, pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove United States Armed Forces ...
Jun 17, 2015. Failed 139/288.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5029 (113th): International Science and Technology Cooperation Act of 2014
Jul 14, 2014. Passed 346/41.
S. 1348 (113th): Congressional Award Program Reauthorization Act of 2013
Sep 30, 2013. Passed 387/35.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute enacted by the 112th United States Congress and signed into law by US President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2016, Benishek missed 52 of 4,135 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: