Read our 2017 Report Card for Newhouse.
Newhouse is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Newhouse has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Dan Newhouse sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- House Committee on Rules
Newhouse was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Newhouse sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Newhouse’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6652: To direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain facilities, easements, and ...
- H.Res. 1001: Providing for consideration of the concurrent resolution (H. Con. Res. 119) expressing the ...
- H.Res. 953: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 6136) to amend the immigration laws ...
- H.Res. 900: Providing for further consideration of the bill (H.R. 2) to provide for the ...
- H.Res. 879: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3053) to amend the Nuclear Waste ...
- H.Res. 831: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 5444) to amend the Internal Revenue ...
- H.R. 5504: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4801 ...
|Newhouse’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4760: Securing America’s Future Act of 2018
Jun 21, 2018. Failed 193/231.
This bill would make sweeping changes to laws governing legal and illegal immigration. For legal immigration, it would end the diversity program and chain migration by eliminating the visa lottery green card program and green card programs for relatives other than spouses and minor children. ...
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018; SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Honoring Hometown Heroes Act
Feb 9, 2018. Passed 240/186.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 342/85.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to Jul 2018, Newhouse missed 70 of 2,414 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: