Akaka, a Democrat, was a senator from Hawaii from 1990 to 2012.
He was previously the representative for Hawaii's 2nd congressional district (1977-1990).
Akaka is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Akaka sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Akaka was the primary sponsor of 47 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2170 (112th): Hatch Act Modernization Act of 2012
- S. 1379 (112th): D.C. Courts and Public Defender Service Act of 2011
- S. 743 (112th): Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2012
- S. 3447 (111th): Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010
- S. 3107 (111th): Veterans’ Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2010
- S. 707 (111th): Telework Enhancement Act of 2010
- S. 1963 (111th): Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2010
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Akaka sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (33%) Government Operations and Politics (25%) Native Americans (8%) Health (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Labor and Employment (6%) Education (6%) Economics and Public Finance (5%)
Some of Akaka’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 624 (112th): A resolution relative to the death of the Honorable Daniel Ken Inouye, ...
- S. 3685 (112th): Department of the Interior Tribal Self-Governance Act of 2012
- S. 3676 (112th): Reducing Duplication Overseas Act of 2012
- S.Res. 602 (112th): A resolution designating 2012-2013 as the “Year of the Korean War Veteran” ...
- S.Res. 561 (112th): A resolution recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages ...
- S. 3548 (112th): Native American Veterans’ Memorial Amendments Act of 2012
- S. 3362 (112th): Dam Safety Act of 2012
|Akaka’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 1789 (112th): 21st Century Postal Service Act of 2012
Apr 25, 2012. Bill Passed 62/37.
H.R. 658 (112th): FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Feb 6, 2012. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
H.R. 4 (112th): Comprehensive 1099 Taxpayer Protection and Repayment of Exchange Subsidy Overpayments Act of 2011
Apr 5, 2011. Bill Passed 87/12.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 7081 (110th): United States-India Nuclear Cooperation Approval and Nonproliferation Enhancement Act
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 86/13.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
On the Nomination PN2: Leslie Southwick, of Mississippi, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fifth Circuit
Oct 24, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 59/38.
S.Con.Res. 20 (110th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that no funds should be cut off or reduced ...
Mar 15, 2007. Concurrent Resolution Agreed to 82/16.
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From May 1990 to Jan 2013, Akaka missed 183 of 7,503 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills