Lipinski is the representative for Illinois’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 4, 2005. Lipinski is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Lipinski.
Lipinski is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lipinski has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Daniel Lipinski sits on the following committees:
Lipinski was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1346 (115th): To repeal the rule issued by the Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Transit Administration entitled “Metropolitan Planning Organization Coordination and Planning Area Reform”.
- H.R. 3085 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 3349 West 111th Street in Chicago, Illinois, as the “Captain Herbert Johnson Memorial Post Office ...
- H.R. 1126 (110th): To reauthorize the Steel and Aluminum Energy Conservation and Technology Competitiveness Act of 1988.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lipinski sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (25%) Science, Technology, Communications (24%) Health (14%) Education (10%) Environmental Protection (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Taxation (7%) International Affairs (5%)
Some of Lipinski’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7934: Energy Innovation Corps
- H.R. 7106: Social Sciences Protect Our Nation Act
- H.Res. 986: Commemorating the 80th anniversary of the Katyn Massacre.
- H.R. 6770: Mobility Options, Resiliency, and Efficiency (MORE) through TDM Act
- H.R. 6653: MASKS ON Act
- H.R. 6226: Improving the Metra Commuter Experience Act of 2020
- H.R. 6223: D-BLOC Act
From Jan 2005 to Sep 2020, Lipinski missed 346 of 10,986 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: