In 2015 Davis was investigated for travel funded or organized by one or more entities prohibited from providing congressional travel. The House Committee on Ethics concluded implicated House members did not intentionally accept gifts from prohibited entities.
|May. 8, 2015||House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended that the Committee on Ethics further review the allegation|
|Jul. 31, 2015||House Committee on Ethics concluded implicated House members did not intentionally accept gifts from prohibited entities|
Read our 2017 Report Card for Davis.
Davis is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Davis has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Danny Davis sits on the following committees:
Davis was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2834: Partnership Grants to Strengthen Families Affected by Parental Substance Abuse Act
- H.R. 5551 (110th): To amend title 11, District of Columbia Official Code, to implement the increase provided under the District of Columbia Appropriations Act, 2008, in the amount of funds ...
- H.R. 5683 (110th): Government Accountability Office Act of 2008
- H.R. 1593 (110th): Second Chance Act of 2007
- H.R. 4216 (110th): Predominantly Black Institution Act of 2007
- H.R. 5990 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 415 South 5th Avenue in Maywood, Illinois, as the “Wallace W. Sykes Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 5989 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 10240 Roosevelt Road in Westchester, Illinois, as the ‘John J. Sinde Post Office Building’.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Davis sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Davis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5103: Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2018
- H.R. 4833: Bail Fairness Act of 2018
- H.Res. 559: Recognizing Navy Pier as a public community resource and treasured Chicago landmark.
- H.R. 3742: Fostering Success in Higher Education Act of 2017
- H.R. 3578: Expungement Act of 2017
- H.R. 3525: Home Visiting Works Act of 2017
- H.R. 3465: Julia Carson Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2017
|Davis’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2825: DHS Authorization Act of 2017
Jul 20, 2017. Passed 386/41.
H.R. 2825 authorizes the activities of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and provides necessary oversight and guidance to the Department to ensure that it is effectively carrying out the mission of securing the homeland. A full section-by-section of the legislation can be found here ...
H.R. 1599: Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015
Jul 23, 2015. Passed 275/150.
This bill was enacted as S. 764. The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 would require the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the distribution and labeling related to bioengineered foods (often referred to as genetically modified foods or GMOs). It would ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
From Jan 1997 to Mar 2018, Davis missed 893 of 14,327 roll call votes, which is 6.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: