LaHood is the representative for Illinois’s 18th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Sep 17, 2015. LaHood is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for LaHood.
LaHood is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills LaHood has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Feb 24, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
LaHood was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1825 (116th): Improving Assistance for Taxpayers Act
- H.R. 4326 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 200 West North Street in Normal, Illinois, as the “Sgt. Josh Rodgers Post Office”.
- H.R. 3109 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1114 North 2nd Street in Chillicothe, Illinois, as the “Sr. Chief Ryan Owens Post Office ...
- H.R. 5312 (114th): Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Modernization Act of 2016
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
LaHood sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (38%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Social Welfare (12%) Health (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (6%) International Affairs (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of LaHood’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1146: To amend the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 to authorize ...
- H.R. 883: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a tax credit ...
- H.R. 821: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to simplify reporting requirements, promote ...
- H.R. 820: New Philadelphia National Historical Park Act
- H.Res. 66: Supporting the contributions of Catholic schools.
- H.R. 8385 (116th): Taxpayer Protection Act of 2020
- H.R. 8240 (116th): Route 66 National Historic Trail Designation Act
From Sep 2015 to Feb 2021, LaHood missed 52 of 3,033 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: