Read our 2016 Report Card for Issa.
Our unique analysis of the bills Issa has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Issa is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Darrell Issa sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on the Judiciary
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
Issa was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 136 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1103 USPS Building 1103 in Camp Pendleton, California, as the “Camp Pendleton Medal of Honor ...
- H.R. 4193 (113th): Smart Savings Act
- H.R. 4194 (113th): Government Reports Elimination Act of 2014
- H.R. 4192 (113th): To amend the Act entitled “An Act to regulate the height of buildings in the District of Columbia” to clarify the rules of the District of Columbia ...
- H.R. 2668 (112th): Brian A. Terry Memorial Act
- H.R. 4363 (112th): Federal Employee Phased Retirement Act
- H.R. 628 (111th): To establish a pilot program in certain United States district courts to encourage enhancement of expertise in patent cases among district judges.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Issa sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (35%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Commerce (11%) Immigration (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) International Affairs (7%) Health (7%) Law (4%)
Some of Issa’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3547: Jerusalem’s Enhanced and Secure Accommodations Act of 2017
- H.R. 3446: RBI Act
- H.Con.Res. 70: Recognizing and commending the leadership, patriotism, and contributions of veterans service organizations and ...
- H.Res. 462: Recognizing the patriotism and contributions of veterans service organizations.
- H.R. 3324: KIWI Act
- H.R. 3301: CLASSICS Act
- H.R. 3177: Keeping Our Commitment to Disabled Veterans Act of 2017
|Issa’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2596: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 16, 2015. Passed 247/178.
The Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (IAA), H.R. 2596, was passed by the House on June 16. The IAA would authorize funding for intelligence-related agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was passed ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3361 (113th): USA FREEDOM Act
May 22, 2014. Passed 303/121.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
From Jan 2001 to Sep 2017, Issa missed 348 of 11,626 roll call votes, which is 3.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 20 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: