Read our 2017 Report Card for Issa.
Issa is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Issa has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Darrell Issa sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on the Judiciary
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
Issa was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 136 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1103 USPS Building 1103 in Camp Pendleton, California, as the “Camp Pendleton Medal of Honor ...
- H.R. 4193 (113th): Smart Savings Act
- H.R. 4194 (113th): Government Reports Elimination Act of 2014
- H.R. 4192 (113th): To amend the Act entitled “An Act to regulate the height of buildings in the District of Columbia” to clarify the rules of the District of Columbia ...
- H.R. 2668 (112th): Brian A. Terry Memorial Act
- H.R. 4363 (112th): Federal Employee Phased Retirement Act
- H.R. 628 (111th): To establish a pilot program in certain United States district courts to encourage enhancement of expertise in patent cases among district judges.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Issa sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (31%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Commerce (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Immigration (7%) International Affairs (7%) Health (6%) Law (6%)
Some of Issa’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5344: To make technical amendments to update statutory references to certain provisions which were ...
- H.R. 4951: Monuments Protection Act
- H.Con.Res. 105: Commemorating the 100th anniversary of women serving in the United States Marine Corps.
- H.R. 4923: Reinforcing American-Made Products Act of 2017
- H.R. 4873: DACA Compromise Act of 2018
- H.R. 4010: Congressional Subpoena Compliance and Enforcement Act of 2017
- H.R. 3996: Protecting Access to the Courts for Taxpayers Act
|Issa’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2596: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 16, 2015. Passed 247/178.
The Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (IAA), H.R. 2596, was passed by the House on June 16. The IAA would authorize funding for intelligence-related agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was passed ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3361 (113th): USA FREEDOM Act
May 22, 2014. Passed 303/121.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
From Jan 2001 to Apr 2018, Issa missed 366 of 11,954 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: