McCurdy was the representative for Oklahoma’s 4th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1981 to 1994.
McCurdy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCurdy sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
McCurdy was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5095 (102nd): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1993
- H.R. 2038 (102nd): Intelligence Authorization Act, Fiscal Year 1992
- H.R. 1455 (102nd): Intelligence Authorization Act, Fiscal Year 1991
- H.R. 3048 (100th): National Superconductivity and Competitiveness Act of 1988
- H.R. 5795 (97th): An act to provide for the use and distribution of the funds awarded to the Shawnee Tribe of Indians in dockets 64, 335, and 338 by the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCurdy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Education (21%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Housing and Community Development (10%) Labor and Employment (10%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Environmental Protection (8%) Water Resources Development (5%)
Some of McCurdy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4784 (103rd): Mountain Park Project Act of 1994
- H.R. 4414 (103rd): Independence for Families Act of 1994
- H.R. 4392 (103rd): To amend the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 to ...
- H.R. 4302 (103rd): Military Construction Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1995
- H.R. 2712 (103rd): National Education Goal for Parental Participation Act
- H.R. 2402 (103rd): Military Construction Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1994
- H.R. 1112 (103rd): Youth Apprenticeship Act of 1993
From Jan 1981 to Nov 1994, McCurdy missed 561 of 6,505 roll call votes, which is 8.6%. This is much worse than the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1994. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills