Minge was the representative for Minnesota’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1993 to 2000.
Minge is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2000 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Minge sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 1995 to Dec 15, 2000. See full analysis methodology.
Minge was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2484 (106th): To provide that land which is owned by the Lower Sioux Indian Community in the State of Minnesota but which is not held in trust by the ...
- H.R. 614 (104th): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey to the State of Minnesota the New London National Fish Hatchery production facility.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Minge sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (16%) Economics and Public Finance (16%) Agriculture and Food (15%) Environmental Protection (12%) Social Welfare (11%) Commerce (11%) Taxation (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%)
Some of Minge’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5639 (106th): To authorize the payment of a gratuity to certain members of the ...
- H.R. 5511 (106th): Conservation Security Act of 2000
- H.R. 5279 (106th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow allocation of ...
- H.R. 5069 (106th): Comprehensive Rural Telecommunications Act
- H.R. 5070 (106th): Medicare Fairness in Reimbursement Act of 2000
- H.R. 4935 (106th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to increase the size of ...
- H.R. 4321 (106th): Antitrust Enforcement Improvement Act of 2000
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2000, Minge missed 83 of 4,863 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is better than the median of 3.0% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2000. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: