Phelps was the representative for Illinois’s 19th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1999 to 2002.
Phelps is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2002 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Phelps sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 1997 to Nov 19, 2002. See full analysis methodology.
Phelps sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (33%) Government Operations and Politics (22%) Health (22%) Crime and Law Enforcement (22%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Phelps recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 480 (107th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 4098) to provide for ciminal …
- H.Con.Res. 323 (107th): Expressing the sense of Congress that money from the drug trade helps …
- H.R. 3477 (107th): Hunters Help the Hungry Act of 2001
- H.R. 1401 (107th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exclude from gross …
- H.R. 1614 (106th): Military Reservists Small Business Relief Act of 1999
View All » | View Cosponsors »
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1999 to Nov 2002, Phelps missed 26 of 2,210 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 2002. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills