Read our 2017 Report Card for Roe.
Roe is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Roe has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
David “Phil” Roe sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Member, Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Member, Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions
Roe was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5674: VA MISSION Act of 2018
- H.R. 3218: Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017
- H.R. 369: To eliminate the sunset of the Veterans Choice Program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1259: VA Accountability First Act of 2017
- H.R. 6416 (114th): Jeff Miller and Richard Blumenthal Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016
- H.R. 2814 (114th): To name the Department of Veterans Affairs community-based outpatient clinic in Sevierville, Tennessee, the Dannie A. Carr Veterans Outpatient Clinic.
- H.R. 2094 (113th): School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Roe sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (43%) Health (20%) Labor and Employment (13%) Education (6%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%) Agriculture and Food (6%) Immigration (4%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (4%)
Some of Roe’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6441: To authorize the establishment of American Dream Accounts.
- H.R. 6394: Healthy Food Choices Act
- H.R. 6353: To amend the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 to prohibit the United ...
- H.Res. 950: Expressing support for the designation of the week of June 18 through June ...
- H.Con.Res. 121: Directing the Secretary of the Senate to make a correction in the enrollment ...
- H.R. 5674: VA MISSION Act of 2018
- H.R. 5298: Modernizing Drug Enforcement Act of 2018
|Roe’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 139: Rapid DNA Act of 2017
Jan 11, 2018. Passed 256/164.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017. The bill would extend so-called "section 702" government surveillance under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The bill was originally introduced and passed the Senate in 2017 as the Rapid DNA ...
H.R. 2658: Venezuela Humanitarian Assistance and Defense of Democratic Governance Act of 2017
Dec 7, 2017. Passed 388/29.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3361 (113th): USA FREEDOM Act
May 22, 2014. Passed 303/121.
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 14, 2011. Passed 283/136.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2009 to Jul 2018, Roe missed 152 of 6,865 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: