Weldon was the representative for Florida’s 15th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2008.
Weldon is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Weldon sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Weldon was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5719 (109th): Fetus Farming Prohibition Act of 2006
- H.R. 395 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2305 Minton Road in West Melbourne, Florida, as the “Ronald W. Reagan Post Office of ...
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Weldon sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (17%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Taxation (14%) Law (14%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Science, Technology, Communications (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Families (8%)
Some of Weldon’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4837 (110th): SPACE Act
- H.R. 3612 (110th): Local Law Enforcement Restoration Act
- H.R. 3135 (110th): Child Tax Credit Preservation Act of 2007
- H.R. 2893 (110th): Homeownership Affordability Act of 2007
- H.R. 2873 (110th): Affordable Homeowners Insurance Act of 2007
- H.R. 2564 (110th): Human Cloning Prohibition Act of 2007
- H.R. 2355 (110th): Reservists and Guardsmen Tax Relief Act of 2007
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2008, Weldon missed 376 of 9,048 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: