Rep. David Young
Former Representative for Iowa’s 3rd District
pronounced DAY-vid // yung
Young was the representative for Iowa’s 3rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2015 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Young.
Young is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Young sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Young was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1238 (115th): Securing our Agriculture and Food Act
- H.R. 460 (115th): Improving Rural Call Quality and Reliability Act of 2017
- H.R. 5392 (114th): No Veterans Crisis Line Call Should Go Unanswered Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Young sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Government Operations and Politics (20%) Agriculture and Food (16%) Emergency Management (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Immigration (8%) International Affairs (8%) Health (8%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Young recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 1066 (115th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that protections for individuals …
- H.R. 6731 (115th): Restoring Our Commitment to Renewable Fuels Act of 2018
- H.R. 6034 (115th): Palestinian Authority Educational Curriculum Transparency Act
- H.R. 5426 (115th): WATER Act
- H.R. 5386 (115th): IRS FAST Act
- H.R. 3817 (115th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to improve the …
- H.R. 3646 (115th): Water Quality Conservation Act of 2017
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2018, Young missed 0 of 2,535 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: