Read our 2016 Report Card for Heller.
Our unique analysis of the bills Heller has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Heller is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Dean Heller sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Member, Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
Senate Committee on Finance
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Energy, Natural Resources, and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on Health Care
- Member, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Heller was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- S. 42: Inspiring the Next Space Pioneers, Innovators, Researchers, and Explorers (INSPIRE) Women Act
- S. 210 (113th): Stolen Valor Act of 2013
- S. 1885 (112th): Responsible Unemployment Extension Act
- H.R. 763 (111th): Carson City Vital Community Act of 2009
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Heller sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (28%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (24%) Taxation (19%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Health (5%) Labor and Employment (5%) Environmental Protection (4%)
Some of Heller’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 563: Flood Insurance Market Parity and Modernization Act
- S. 462: Securities and Exchange Commission Overpayment Credit Act
- S. 414: Pershing County Economic Development and Conservation Act
- S. 326: Public Buildings Renewal Act of 2017
- S. 327: Fair Access to Investment Research Act of 2017
- S. 282: Public Land Renewable Energy Development Act
- S. 174: Federal Communications Commission Consolidated Reporting Act of 2017
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From May 2011 to Mar 2017, Heller missed 59 of 1,677 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is worse than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 30 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: