Fischer is the senior senator from Nebraska and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 3, 2013. Fischer is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Fischer.
Fischer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fischer has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Deb Fischer sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Chair, Subcommittee on Livestock, Marketing, and Agriculture Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Agricultural Research, and Specialty Crops
- Member, Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Chair, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Fischer was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 526: Microloan Modernization Act of 2018
- S. 2421: FARM Act
- S. 3364 (114th): CHIP IN for Vets Act of 2016
- S. 2276 (114th): PIPES Act of 2016
- S. 1115 (114th): GONE Act
- S. 1359 (114th): E-Warranty Act of 2015
- S. 301 (114th): Boys Town Centennial Commemorative Coin Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fischer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (24%) Taxation (17%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Environmental Protection (8%) Commerce (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Some of Fischer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 603: A resolution designating September 2018 as “School Bus Safety Month”.
- S. 2884: Veterans Fair Debt Notice Act of 2018
- S. 2717: Maritime Authorization and Enhancement Act for Fiscal Year 2019
- S. 2421: FARM Act
- S.Res. 389: A resolution commemorating the commissioning of the USS Omaha.
- S.Res. 365: A resolution congratulating the University of Nebraska-Lincoln volleyball team for winning the 2017 ...
- S. 2088: Gold Star Family Support and Installation Access Act of 2017
From Jan 2013 to Aug 2018, Fischer missed 1 of 1,666 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: