Fischer is the senior senator from Nebraska and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 3, 2013. Fischer is next up for reelection in 2024 and serves until Jan 3, 2025.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Fischer.
Fischer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fischer has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Deb Fischer sits on the following committees:
Fischer was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 371 (116th): BUILD Act
- S. 1133 (116th): Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019
- S. 526 (115th): Microloan Modernization Act of 2018
- S. 2421 (115th): FARM Act
- S. 3364 (114th): CHIP IN for Vets Act of 2016
- S. 2276 (114th): PIPES Act of 2016
- S. 1115 (114th): GONE Act
Does 10 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fischer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (33%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Environmental Protection (12%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Taxation (8%) Health (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%)
Some of Fischer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 543: A bill to amend the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921, to establish a ...
- S. 5043 (116th): American COMPETE Act of 2020
- S. 5046 (116th): Rural Investment Act of 2020
- S. 4906 (116th): A bill to establish a portal and database to receive and maintain ...
- S. 4722 (116th): Transportation and Logistics Hiring Reform Act of 2020
- S. 4720 (116th): HAULS Act of 2020
- S. 4647 (116th): Cattle Market Transparency Act of 2020
From Jan 2013 to Mar 2021, Fischer missed 29 of 2,550 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: